Thursday 15 December 2011

Fa-la-la-la-la la-ogri-la

Posted by The Control Room on 20:41

Deck the halls with ugly Orc heads, Fa-la-la-la-la la-ogri-la! Yes, it's that time again - Winter Veil has arrived in Azeroth once again and Great Father Winter has appeared in Ironforge and Orgrimmar (/cheers) ready to give out gifts and quests. Are you ready to complete all the achievements of Winter Veil in order to gain the title of Merrymaker? I am, I really am.



It's my second Christmas in Azeroth, last Christmas I wasn't really bothered by achievements and the like, but this year I am READY to kick some backside and earn my new title. I think it's fitting. Today, Azeroth was covered in Winter Veil trees, decorated with love, people dressed in red and green outfits an s the delicious smell that is gingerbread cookies and eggnog. Yes, Winter Veil is a time for all Azerothians to come together and share the peaceful, joyous occasion that is Winter Veil.



When I logged on today I was eager to meet Great Father Winter yet again and accept quest from him. Of course, coming home late from work I could only get on at 23:00, and so didn't get much time to play. Regardless, I carried on, flying off to Ironforge in search of the jolly old man.It was a quick trip on the Deeprun tram, a Gnome decided to jump on the same carriage as me (must to my distaste) and although I was irritated I waved to him in greeting. He didn't wave back.. Once the tram stopped at the entrance to Ironforge, I was quick to get off and through the portal before mounting my flying horse and speeding off to the tree that stood behind Great Father Winter outside the Ironforge bank.

The first quest that the bringer of winter Veil asked me to complete was one that required me bringing him five gingerbread cookies and a glass of ice cold milk (I could totally go for some milk right now). Rather than spend time cooking them myself, I bought them fresh from the auction house for an unholy amount of gold. Seriously, it was a lot. I brought the necessary food-stuffs to Great Father Winter and he devoured them happily. As a reward I was given a present that contained...thread. Great present, really. My spirits were later lifted by a parcel from Great Father Winter in my inbox that contained some cheese, candy canes and other tasty treats. That made it all better.



I planned on completing three achievements today - 'Scrooge', 'With a little Helper from my friends' and 'Tis the season'. Much easier than it sounds, I tell you. I was going to get all three done...I managed a grand total of one. Record numbers, I know. I'm blaming it on sleepiness and lack of concentration. That's exactly the reason, nothing else.

Dalaran toy shop


'Scrooge' was easy peasy, no problem. All I had to do was hurl a snowball at Muradin Bronzebeard and BAM, achievement. Whilst many would have quaked with fear at the thought of pelting him with snow, I relished in it. striding up to this throne I stood right in front of his face and just slammed it into him, laughing all the way. It was a nice, easy achievement that required little effort and the humiliation of an NPC. Poor guy.

I've always liked reading lore in Azeroth


The next one was quite a bit harder. 'With a little Helper from my friends' requires me to transform into a Gnome (outside Ironforge) and then gaining 50 honourable kills. I managed eight today. eight in lord knows how many Battlegrounds. I humiliated myself in that hideous Gnome costume for nothing. However, next time will be better. Next time I will be prepared and ready to take the enemy DOWN. I think I could, depending on the BG....

Feel da power


'Tis the Season' should have been the easiest of them all. I had two pieces of Winter clothing from last year, but I was missing the hat. Much to my irritation, this quest required me wearing three pieces of Winter clothing whilst I ate the mince meat pie-cake. Even the auction house had no hats for me. Hanging my head low, I sulked for a little while, knowing that the only one who could help me was my Guild Master, and he was offline. I even wished him goodnight. I was kinda bummed about that fact, I really wanted to complete it tonight. The quests were still fun to do though, I really enjoy getting achievements when I can, and as a level 85 the only things to do are get kick ass armour and gain all the achievements possible.



I really like Christmas, here on Earth. For once, everyone seems happy and is able to get along - fighting appears reduced. Whether it is or not, I don't know, but I'd like to think that way. Food, family and the odd gift, that's what Christmas is all about, mainly the first two of course. In Azeroth, Winter Veil seems to have the same effect. Players seem less snappy and harsh with each other, and seem to get along with each other a lot better than usual. A short poem comes to mind when I think of this. "Christmas comes but once a year, and when it come it brings good cheer." I have to say that this is a very true point.



Join us again on Saturday fir an incredibly exciting post...you'll have to wait and see what it's about. We'll be doing more on Christmas in MMO/MMORPG's, so keep your eyes peeled and don't be afraid to check back.

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Winter Veil is my favourite festival in all of the Azerothian calendar! I get strangely excited over it every year. Did you manage to get the Merrymaker title?

No, I didn't manage it. :( We had a lot going on with Christmas preparation and so that minimised gaming time. However, I hope that this year I'll have it!

Winter Veil is definitely the best holiday.

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site