Thursday 2 February 2012

Terraria?

Posted by The Control Room on 16:43


Terraria

This Indie side scroller game is surprisingly popular. I lot of my friends play it and have recommended it to me despite my dislike for all games lame.

My first impression of it was ‘it’s basically a rubbish version of Mine Craft’. I asked one of my friends to tell me a bit about the game and going with my first impression he said it’s “comparable to the original Metroid. It’s kind of a cross between Metroid and Mine Craft.” From what I have seen you go around blowing stuff up in order to collect ores to make armour (seems kind of pointless to me). My friend however was exceedingly enthusiastic about it (each to their own) and so I did what any good blogger would do and decided to ask him some more questions.


First of all I enquired about his favourite aspects of the game and what he would change if he could. His original reply informed me that it is ‘a fun social game’. Which is not much to go on so I inquired further and ‘he-of-little-words’ informed that it was “just going out and trying to out-gear your mates” (If this is what gaming is turning into then things are getting bad).  Still I enquired further but I couldn’t get him to say anything critical about the game, he seemed to generally like it a lot although he does inform me that there is “not much of a story” and that the exciting part was getting “to progress, kill bosses and get rid of corruption” (such an original idea).

I think it is only fair that I give you some more information on the actual game and allow you to form your own opinions:

Terraria...

Aside from killing bosses and building castles what can you do? After you’ve invited your friends to live in your castle what is there to spike your interest? Explored all of the underground caverns? Collected wood, money and metal....make some armour. Build a new house. Destroy some people...get a bit of PVP action in.

When you die you get a message informing you that ‘you were slain’.


Dig deeper (literally) into a world of adventure and building stuff.

There are a lot of different biomes on this game, I suppose they thought it would be nice not to have to stare at exactly the same picture for hours on end, they were right, but there isn’t much you can do with a 2D (not just literally) game like this one. There is: The Hallow, Floating Islands, Meteorites, The Corruption, Dungeon, Underground Hallow, The Underworld and more.

Environments

Forest, Desert, Ocean, Hallowed Desert, Hallowed Ocean, Jungle.

The Hallow – unlocked once you have defeated the Wall of Flesh in the Underworld. Is used to counter the seed of corruption by spreading seeds or throwing holy water. Appears disturbingly cheerful with colourful trees and blue grass and a rainbow and a sun in the background.

Floating Islands – Appear in the sky. Usually made with a building of ore bricks and spawn the same creatures as the forest except for Harpies and Wyverne.

Meteorite – Make random appearances and can only be mined using a Gold pickaxe or better, Dynamite or Bombs. Player is informed when a meteorite crash-lands.

The Corruption – As afore mentioned in ‘The Hallow’. Evil that is formed randomly when a world is created. Corruption appears as purple grass and orange sky. Spawns high-level monsters. Hard to stop from spreading.

Dungeon – Many layers deep, can reach the underworld. Found opposite side of the world to the Jungle. Randomly formed from 1 of 3 dungeon bricks. Contains chest of rare items and decorative items.

Underground Hallow – Naturally forms as Hallow spreads to the underworld. Large amounts of Pearlstone Block. Monsters include: Chaos Elementals, Illuminant Bats, Illuminant Slime and Enchanted Swords, Mimics, Armoured Skeletons, Heavy Skeletons and Skeleton Archers.

The Underworld – Deepest Biome. Found below stone. Background is lava pattern. Contains underworld houses, chests, shadowchests, pots, Hellforges and potions. Stronger enemies – Fire Imps, Bone Serpents, Demons, Hellbats, Lava Slime, Hell Demons, Wall of Flesh (Boss).



Just a bit of information on the selection of areas to visit to intrigue you, I don't want to give away to much. Check it out and tell me what you think. 
Titus Proxima

2 comments:

Surely your opinion would be biased as you've never actually touched the game :O

If it's anything like Minecraft I won't be looking at it...

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site