Saturday 19 November 2011

Weekend specials

Posted by The Control Room on 03:40

The following post is brought to you by Titus Proxima. As Titus is away, I have had to post it for him. It would have been up on Thursday, but we had some issues that prevented it. As we missed Thursday, we'll be giving you a weekend special. This Saturday post has been fully written by Titus, and tomorrow's post will be written by me and will be an update on one of the many games I play.




Hey guys, we’re a little short on time today so we will try and make this quick but exciting.
Today we want to tell you all about something we are greatly fond of, this would be ‘Castles and Crusades’, a table-top RPG which has demanded many hours of our ill-managed study time.
‘Castles and Crusades’ was introduced to me, Titus Proxima, by Valhalla who in turn was introduced to it by his Uncle who, in-fact, knows the creator (pretty exciting stuff).
It involves all the best bits of ‘Dungeons and Dragons’ but with all the added awesomeness.
I will begin its description the way I was introduced to it.
We excitedly gathered around a table in the school library, Valhalla, my-self and our friend and gaming companion, Kate. All grinning enthusiastically down at an A4 sized sheet of yellow paper whilst our friendly librarian looked on with amusement gleaming in her practiced eyes. Valhalla chuckled knowingly whilst my-self and Kate jigged with ignorant eagerness.
Valhalla swiped up the paper and stalked to his bag from which he drew books and papers and dice. And our excitement ever increased. Joining us, once more, at the table, Valhalla commanded us ‘sit’, and, as any self-respecting gamer does, we sat. Hands on the table, leaning forward as a child does to their story teller (which is what the GM basically is) we plunged into a whole new world of adventure and battle.
We began by creating our Avatars(at this point I feel the need to suggest listening to The Guild ‘Do you want to date my Avatar?’ it’s the most awesome song), I was a hobbit and my friend a mixture of god and elf. First we had to create our stats. We rolled countless dice to reach a point where we had 6 numbers which we assigned to 6 attributes depending on our class and race. I chose to have high Charisma, this meant that I was very persuasive and if I took my hood off people fainted at the sight of my beauty. My Wisdom was average as was my Intelligence, My dexterity somewhat low (I tried to keep it as real as possible) and my Strength was pretty good as was my constitution meaning that I had a good resistance to poison and was able to heal quickly.
We begun our story in The Severed Head Inn (Valhalla is very creative when it comes to naming places, there was another Inn called The Kings Cleavage, don’t ask why) where we encountered a hooded figure who was going on a quest and needed our help.
Our job was to investigate a Wizard who had been killing villagers and raising them from the dead to create an un-dead army for himself. Throughout our quest Valhalla ordered us to call him things like ‘Almighty GM’ or ‘Godly one’, licking GM’s shoes is the only sure way to be ressed when killed as GM decides when monsters attack, when prizes are received, and what exists or doesn’t. Bribes are acceptable to some GM’s (I suggest chocolate, or small gifts or favours) but remember the GM could change his/her mind at any moment.
From this point on Valhalla relentlessly attacked us with hoards of un-dead creatures, from skeleton warriors (fairly easy to kill) to hell hounds (not so easy to kill). But we prevailed despite the odds and with our guide we went to defeat the evil wizard and gain victory over evil.
Not long after this we decided to request permission to begin a C&C club at lunchtimes. It drew more than expected but soon we had a good sized group of regulars whom we tortured and messed with on a weekly basis.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site