Tuesday 22 November 2011

Titus' Guide to Yu-Gi-Oh

Posted by The Control Room on 15:30

Hey guys, another post from me, Titus. Today I bring you news of great excitement. I have very recently expanded my Yu-Gi-Oh deck.

I’ve had a deck for years and years and years but I had no one to play it with. Within the last year I have taught Valhalla to play and now I play at school in any spare time. Well, last week it was my birthday and my awesome work colleagues, when my cousin came in to the store looking for a present for me, directed her to the Yu-Gi-Oh cards. The exchange went something like this:
“Hi. I’m the cousin of one of your colleagues. It is his Birthday and I need a present for him.” My colleagues all pointed at this tin of Yu-Gi-Oh cards that I have been going on about for weeks. In fact about a month ago my manager put me in charge of the trading card section because he had no idea what it was. Anyway, the point is I now have an even more awe-inspiring deck (Valhalla refuses to fight me because I keep defeating him).
I thought it would be exciting to explain to you how the game works and so you can have some fun with it too.

First of all you need to know the origin of the game. You all remember Pokemon? Digimon? Well this is similar in the sense that the player fights battles using cards which represent monsters he/she controls, sometimes using trap cards and spells cards to aid or revive your monsters, sometimes even to destroy your opponents, sending them to the graveyard.
The Layout is simple (beginners, I suggest using a mat). You are allowed 5 monsters on the field at one time, this includes attack position and defence position and you can have 5 spell or trap cards face down on the field at one time. You have a deck zone, a field zone, for field cards, a graveyard and an extra deck zone.
There are different types of summoning for a monster. Normal summoning is simply placing a card from your hand in attack or defence position. Special summoning is done using a card effect, the card must be placed in face up defence or attack mode unless the card specifies otherwise. Synchro summoning means that you must add the levels of a tuner monster an a non tuner monster to summon one that is the exact same level and finally fusion summoning requires a card that allows it e.g Polymerization.
Monster levels
Levels are represented by the stars under the name on the right hand side of the card.
Level 1-4 monsters require no special summon unless specified.
Level 5-6 monsters require a tribute of one monster from your field.
Level 7 + monsters require a two monster tribute from your field.
Monster types
Blue - Ritual Monster. Summoned by a ritual spell card eg Black Luster Soldier requires Black Luster Ritual
White - Synchro Monster. Kept in the Extra deck and can only be summoned by synchro summoning from deck.
Orange - Effect Monster, specified in description at bottom.
Yellow - Normal Monster. No effect.
Purple - Fusion Monster. Kept in Extra deck and usually can only be summoned through fusion summon, specified on card in description.
Gemini Monster – Once already on the field you use your normal summon turn to re summon them. It will have an effect as long as it is on the field.
Tuner Monster – Allows for synchro summoning.
Spell and Trap Cards
There are many types of spell card. You can play as many as you want per turn.
Normal Spell – placed in spell/trap card zone and can only be played during your turn.
Field Spell – placed in Field card zone can only be played during your turn until destroyed.
Equip Spell – (pretty self explanatory) played from spell/trap card zone, equipped to chosen monster, stays there until monster is destroyed.
Quick Play Spells – Goes in spell/trap card zone or can be used during your turn from your hand. Cannot be used the same turn it is set. Can be used as a trap fro opposition. It stays on field unless specified otherwise.
Ritual Spells – (also pretty self explanatory, also pre-mentioned) specific cards used to summon specific monsters. Can only summon a monster from hand unless specified otherwise. Normally requires tribute.
Continuous Spells – played from spell/trap card zone. Stays on field until specified otherwise.
Normal Trap – Goes to graveyard once used.
Counter Trap – Goes to graveyard once used. Nothing can be chained to it except another trap.
Continuous Trap – Stays on field until destroyed.

Quick Guide to Battle
Phases
Standby – for cards that activate specifically in standby phase.
Draw – Solely for your once per turn mandatory draw.
Main – summon, set, activate cards.
Battle – Any attack position monsters on your side of the field may attack.
Main 2 – Same as ‘Main’.
End – You declare that you end your turn.
Damage
Attacking attack monster
If the attack of your attacking monster is greater than the opponents that is being attacked then the opponent takes the remaining points as Life Point Damage and the monster is usually destroyed.
If the attack of your attacking monster is equal to the opponents that is being attacked then both monsters are destroyed.
Attacking a defence monster
If the attack of your attacking monster is equal to that of the opponents defence then neither monster is destroyed.
If the attack of your attacking monster is greater than that of the opponents defence, the defence monster is destroyed and no damage is taken.

I’ve spent many hours playing this game and I rate I give it GGGGGGGG (8/10 gamer points) because It’s only as good as your imagination (I have a pretty awesome imagination).
GOOD LUCK and have fun!

2 comments:

YuGiOh rocks! If you're like me and you don't want to be judged for humiliating children at tournaments then you can also play the official game online ;) http://www.yugioh-online.net

Glad to hear you think Yu-Gi-Oh is awesome too! I would play the online one, ut I can't use my cards, and they're too good to not play with!

- Titus

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site