Friday 1 June 2012

8-bit Masterpiece

Posted by The Control Room on 13:58



Those who know me would tell you that I hate Minecraft with a burning passion, that the idea makes me angry and the gameplay is confusing. I was a fool.

Yesterday, our anti-gamer invited me to his Minecraft server to try the game out. I was reluctant, but I gave it a go. I bought and downloaded Minecraft, thinking I had probably just wasted £16.95 of my hard-earned money. I was so wrong. So very, very wrong.

Minecraft is amazing. I've never been against 8-bit gaming, I just found the whole concept to be somewhat stupid. However, when the anti-gamer showed me the world he, Devinity and co had created my mind was changed. In Minecraft anything is possible, any structure can be built. It's just a world of possibility, limited only by your own imagination.

I said before that I found gameplay confusing. That was just me being a n00b. I just hadn't received the proper instruction. After around 15 minutes of me being generally n00bish, I got the hang of how to work the game and I was chopping down trees and crafting materials - it was fantastic. After killing Devinity's cows and getting my revenge on the anti-gamer for setting a load of monsters on me, I realized what I'd been missing out on every time I had declined a request to play Minecraft. It's a great social and creative game.

Not my creation - Fraps didn't save my screens. But it shows you what you can do. 



Once the multiplayer server had been turned off for the evening, I decided to go solo for a while and see what I could do with my new favourite game. I played for a couple of hours, messing around with the tools and materials, until I eventually built a house. It may not be the greatest house, but I was quite proud of myself. I built it on the cliff facing the sea for that scenic look and outside I built two pens - one for my pack of wolves and one to house my cow and sheep.

There are several game modes that the anti-gamer showed me during my lesson on how to play Minecraft, all of which were very interesting. Survival mode was terrifying - mainly because he released a whole bunch of monsters and set them on me. I decided that mode was a little much for now as I was killed instantly by the creepers and zombies that were mauling me. Creative mode was definitely better, being able to fly and such made travel easier, and the full inventory was useful, even if it did take from the fun of mining for materials. Of course, if you want to play for free then Classic is available - it just isn't updated anymore.



Minecraft is a great game, and I honestly don't know why I hated it so much before. You haven't gamed until you've sat down on Mincecraft. You can get it for PC and XBOX so don't hesitate, visit minecraft.net now.

There are those who were ashamed of me for converting to Minecraft, but I can only say they haven't yet seen the light. I found my newest addiction.

Valhalla

2 comments:

You've turned against us and joined the Dark Side, Valhalla. Although interesting, I don't know if I can bring myself to play it...

Come to the Dark Side, Watcher...we have giant cube-shaped cookies. - Valhalla

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site