Saturday 4 February 2012

Disappointment in Star Wars: The Old Republic

Posted by The Control Room on 12:03

It was a sad day yesterday. It was the day when I found something very wrong about SWTOR, and something that made me feel incredibly annoyed. It's to do with PvP and how unfair it is.

So, yesterday I started up my laptop ready to play a bit of SWTOR and to perhaps get my starship back...finally. I logged on, prepared to fight some foul enemies and level my character up as I had progressed through the quest to get my ship back, but was now too low a level to get past a certain gang that were keeping Skavak from me. In order to annihilate them I had to level, and levelling meant killing a load of creepy people in order to gain some XP and credits (which I sorely needed).

PvP was so intense that even Mikal needed a rest.


As I was wandering around the RP server I play on, chatting with some other characters, talking about how sexy cyborgs are and so on, a player was telling me about the warzone they had just entered. Intrigued, I asked more about these warzones (I didn't bother reading the 'welcome to level 10 email SWTOR sent me) and how I could get there. The guy told me how to enter and I was quick to do so - the desire to earn XP was strong.

I had to queue for quite a while, but that didn't really bother me as I could kill whilst I waited. Yes, my cyborg is a killing machine. Eventually, I was asked to join the warzone and I accepted the invitation, wondering what could be waiting for me on the other side of the loading screen.

It seemed quite cool at first. The aim of the game is to get to the ball in the middle and capture it before the enemy does and to do so within the allotted time. It seemed like quite a cool concept. A load of NPC's sit around you in a sort of Colosseum as you battle each other. I was excited and couldn't wait until I was allowed in. As soon as it began I raced out and began to make my way to the ball in the middle. Then, I was stopped in my tracks. In front of me was a level 50 and a level 44, lightsabers in hand as they prepared to slaughter me. I was only level 12, it wasn't fair. I did what any decent gunslinger does, I ran.  I ran and I hid. I took a moment to scan over my team and saw that I was the lowest level there. It turns out that SWTOR had decided not to make PvP fair and so let any level battle in a warzone. It was wrong, very wrong. Incredibly unfair too. I had no enjoyment in that warzone. I fought as much as I could and died more often than I would have liked. The Sith won on the end, no surprise there considering they had nothing lower than level 40. As the window showing damage done etc came up, I was surprised to find that I was the fourth biggest damage dealer in the whole match. I had to look again as it couldn't possibly be correct - I hid for most of the match. The higher levels ended up dealing the least damage...it was strange indeed.

As I spent the PvP match hiding and running I got not screens...but Mikal wanted to dance for you all...


Anyway, this has to be the biggest fault in SWTOR. I was really annoyed and I won't be participating in PvP for some time. Creators of SWTOR, please sort this out as it has really irritated me.

- Valhalla

2 comments:

That's a pretty bad PvP set-up. It should be sorted out. I did enjoy the screens of Mikal dancing I have to say...

Yes, it's pretty poor. I wrote out it in the email I sent them when they asked for feedback. Hopefully, something will be done.

Glad you liked his dancing, he's a funny one.

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site