Thursday 23 February 2012

Show me the Vita!

Posted by The Control Room on 06:30


Before I start this post on the epic handheld console that is the PS Vita, I would like to thank Tanky for covering for both myself and Titus whilst we were away. I'm sending virtual applause.

I was going to get this up last night, bit I was far too excited by the new addition to my console family to even think of writing a post. So, just over twenty four hours after purchasing the PS Vita, here's what I think about Sony's latest creation.



The PS Vita, or PSP2 as it is sometimes referred to, was released yesterday in Europe. It had taken a while for me to decide whether or not to pre-order the console, and so I only got 'round to it on Sunday but I was excited nonetheless. After picking it up from my local GAME I raced home and instantly unwrapped it, marvelling at its beauty. In my excitement, I took a while to figure out where my memory card went and where to insert the game, but I got there in the end...with some help. Sadly, the game I pre-ordered (Dungeon Hunter: Alliance) had not arrived in store and so I bought Wipeout 2048 instead so that I at least had something to play.

Once I had tapped in all the required details (PSN, etc.) I started playing Wipeout 2048 - a racing game set in what is now the not-so-distant future. My parents remember having this game on our PS1 all those years ago and were surprised to see  remake of it  - it was their favourite game. I have to say, it's brilliant. I thought Mario Kart on the 3DS and Wii was fun, but I hadn't yet come across this beast of a game. It's ruthless, the cars (or perhaps ships) are awesome and it's exciting as you do your best to at least finish in fifth place. I like futuristic racing games...they're awesome. So, a lot of yesterday was spent with me and my younger sister playing Wipeout 2048 in an attempt to beat each other...I always win...of course. The controls are pretty easy to get the hang of and there are some tracks where you're able to tilt the screen in order to steer the ship-car, which is pretty epic.



Deeply upset by the absence of Dungeon Hunter: Alliance, I decided to download the free trial from the PlayStation store and give it a go. Of course, they put strict limits on you - you started as a level six and could only reach level ten. I've played this game a hundred times before on my phone, and I don't believe the storyline has changed, but I still love it - a basic RPG without anything fancy. You choose one of three classes and get out there. I've only ever played as a warrior or a rogue and so gave the mage a chance this time 'round. Not sure if I like that class so much, he keeps getting killed. I found the controls to be a little irritating at times, especially having to tap the screen in order to activate my fairy powers rather than having an assigned button, but it's not a massive flaw.



The Welcome Park seemed to me a waste of time when I first turned my Vita on. However, I started playing with it last night and it's actually a lot of fun. They're really games to get you used to the controls, but I use them purely for the element of fun. There's one where you have to tilt the screen to move a skateboard so that you can dodge giant balls, another where the rear touch pad comes into use so that you can destroy numbers that are floating around. There is also a game where you speak into the microphone and create balls with that sound which will play on a loop - it's very odd. I haven't finished exploring the Welcome Park yet, but I know there's some stuff to to with Augmented Reality (where the console makes it looks like there's things crawling around your house), which is pretty cool.



The PS Vita is amazing, it's a revolutionary piece of handheld gaming. I would really recommend you get out there and buy one. Although, I would suggest getting the WiFi version over the 3G one, because there isn't much more you can do with the 3G and it just costs more money initially and in an additional contract. WiFi all the way!

Valhalla

Me and my PS Vita...fetching...


2 comments:

I've been watching this console for a while now, ever since it was first announced. It looks rather good, I have to say. I've been working double shifts so that I can make enough money to pick one up - you're a lucky one, Valhalla!

I had Wipeout on my PS1 too. Never heard of Dungeon Hunter but it looks interesting. I'm interested in the Unchartered game that's out on Vita - looks quite spectacular.

It's a really awesome console, I would highly recommend that you pick one up - it's well worth the money.

Dungeon Hunter is pretty cool, I only have the free trial at the moment as I still can't get my pre-order through (which is more than a little irritating), but if and when you get the Vita you should give the free trial a go.

Valhalla

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site